Thursday, January 7, 2016

Dr. AC's 2015 Horror Wrap-up Extravaganza!


"Yuuu vill... keep vatching... de movies. Even venn dey suuuuuuuck."

Howdy folks,

Well, here we are again, 16 years into the 2000s, and still no apocalypse. The moving pictures keep moving, the grid is still intact, and people keep reading these silly slices of inanity, so I guess we gotta keep doing these year-end wrap-ups until the pitchforked mobs tell us otherwise.

HE MUST BE STOPPED, I TELL YOU!!!!!

Be forewarned, this is probably the year where I was least focused on keeping an eye on the current fare than any other – with the Netflix account on hold, minimal film festival coverage, and most of my DVD/BR reviews covering re-issues as opposed to modern releases, I feel I’ve become the crotchety old man saying, “Ah, new stuff. Who needs it?” Which is not really the case at all; I don’t feel like modern horror is the wasteland that some of my fellow geriatrics might, it’s just that my hands were already full with what was already on my plate.


Anyway, all that preamble to say that this might not be the most cutting edge recap of The Year That Was, but it’s where my Foolish eyes wandered, and I got to calls ’em as I saws ’em. Hope you dig.

Each of the films listed below was encountered by your humble narrator for the first time over the past 12 months. To acknowledge as many as possible, I've broken them down into various categories in alphabetical order, with my top pick denoted with an asterisk. (*)

Enjoy!






CATCHING UP WITH THE BEST OF 2014
Starry Eyes*
Honeymoon
The Taking of Deborah Logan
The House at the End of Time







FAVORITE HORROR RELEASES OF 2015
Deathgasm
Der Samurai
The Devil’s Candy
It Follows*
Let Us Prey
The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Welp (aka Cub)
What We Do in the Shadows
Zombeavers







MIXED BAGS
Digging Up the Marrow
The Editor
From the Dark
Goodnight Mommy
Late Phases
Horsehead
Human Centipede 3: Final Sequence
The Visit
We Are Still Here







WORST HORROR VIEWS OF 2015
Applecart
Auteur








TOP HORROR DISCOVERIES (1st time views/pre-2015 films)
All About Evil
Blood Rage
Gamera the Brave
Ghoulies II
Hide and Creep
Last Caress
Long Pigs*
Sound of Horror
Trancers








WHAT THE $%*#@% DID I JUST WATCH?
Gnaw: Food of the Gods II
Ghosthouse
Hand of Death
Headless Eyes
Night Train to Terror
Paganini Horror
Satan’s Blade
The Seventh Curse*
Zombies: The Beginning







I would rather look at this poster for 90 minutes.

“WILL THIS NEVER END?” ENDURANCE TESTS
A*P*E
Rattlers




Be back in a bit with the Civilian Views, final tallies, and stats! Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment